Friday, August 1, 2014

Maria Island

Weeks back, went on a trip with a small group of my classmates.
Tooooooo..... Maria Island!!!
Before talking bout the trip,
it's pronounced as "Mariah"
as in Mariah Carey,
and not the usual
stereotypical maid's name.
=P

First disastrous night
The island is almost 2 and  a half hour drive from Launnie.
We have to catch a ferry from a small town called "Triabunna".

To infinity and beyond!


 Once arrived, we're greeted by a row of silos.
They were used by the convicts to produce cement in the past.

往 campsite 出发咯!
Once arrived at our campsite, tents were pitched before it gets too dark.
FYI, sun sets almost completely at 5.30 pm during winter in Tassie.

And..... my tent was set on a shit hole...
haha.... which floods when it rains heavily.
and it did later on!!!

Robbie flashing his skills =P

Basically, we didn't do much on the first night.
Just a simple dinner and jamming/card playing sessions.
Weather was pretty cold when I sneaked into my warm sleeping bag.
Happy and content.

Unfortunately, that didn't last very long.
The rain got really heavy till my tent cried for mercy,
while my sleeping bag "begged" for dry-ness.

Of course, without a sleeping mat,
my sleeping bag is semi-soaked in water.
With tassie's winter chill,
a wet sleeping bag = cold = Hypothermia!!
I was still in a "denial state" when I first notice that my sleeping bag's wet.

But luckily, my dry-or-die spirit forced me out from my sleep.

Dragging my wet, cold sleeping bag,
I grabbed the essentials:
head-torch, sandals and beanie.

Rushed to the nearest hut,
and luckily the fire is not completely out yet.
Spent my first few minutes rekindling the fire,
topping up few firewoods,
The rest of the hour
was spent cursing myself and
my sleeping bag....hahahhaha

Well.... all is good.
I manage to dry myself up
within an hour though.
Afterall, Song's a cockroach,
he wouldn't die that easily.
MATE!


SECOND DAY
Despite a horrible bit from the night before,
we were up early and all ready for a hike!
(at least I did)
Passed by an abandoned brick barn

Unknown cemetery

Ryan, Lisa with the "Bishop and Clerk Summit" backdrop

Fossils at the fossil cliffs!

2 hours ascend to the summit

The view at the top is simply remarkable!
 We later descend from the Bishop and Clerk,
had our late lunch and decided that it's time for the
iconic Painted Cliffs!
Mummy wombat and baby wombat
*I WANNA SQUISH THEM SO BADLY!!!*

拍写~ 自恋照

favourite picture of the trip *HAPPY*

LAST DAY
Last day was spent waking up early,
catching the sun rise which we missed the day before,
and some island exploration on our own.

Always love the photo of sunset/rise
Shadows tell lots of stories about a person/friend.

Life - best served chilled. 

Another pretty cottage 
I just feel like marching when I see this chimney


It's indeed a short trip,
and final get-away before our final semester begins!

OMG.... when can I have this kind of peace
and picturesque setting again?
Sayonara and till me meet again! 

=D



1 comment:

Bentuckee said...

oh i miss this place so much.
very wet experience u got there hahaha...